'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, April 24, 2010

on certainty 431


26.3.51
431. “I know that this room is on the second floor, that behind the door a short landing leads to the stairs, and so on.” One could imagine cases where I should come out with this, but they would be extremely rare. But on the other hand I shew this knowledge day in, day out by my actions and also in what I say.

Now what does someone gather from these actions and words of mine? Won’t it just be that I am sure of my ground? – From the fact that I have been living here for many weeks and have gone up and down the stairs every day he will gather that I know where my room is situated. – I shall give him the assurance “I know” when he does not already know things which would have compelled the conclusion that I knew.
  
                                                                                                                               

‘I show this knowledge’ –

is to say –

this is my interpretation of what I do

and my interpretation –

like any interpretation –

is uncertain

how do I know that it is how others interpret what I do?

I don’t

‘what does someone gather from these actions and words of mine?’

I don’t know

yes – I make certain assumptions here –

but that is all they are – assumptions

and my assumptions are uncertain

I can ask others what they gather from my actions –

and if I get an answer to this question –

I will have to interpret it

can I know that my interpretation is correct?

no

what I can know –

is that my interpretation –

is open to question –

open to doubt

if I give the assurance ‘I know’ –

what I am doing is claiming an authority –

for my assertion

the only authority is authorship –

and that I am the author of my assertion –

does not guarantee the assertion –

beyond authorship –

any claim to an authority –

is rhetorical

does rhetoric show that I am sure of myself?

no –

but it does show –

that I am a fraud

nobody is compelled

to any conclusion


© greg t. charlton. 2010.