'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, April 03, 2010

on certainty 387


387. Someone might ask me: “how certain are you that that is a tree over there; that you have money in your pocket; that that is your foot?” And the answer in one case might be “not certain”,  in another “as good as certain”, in the third “I can’t doubt it”. And these answers would make sense even without grounds. I should not need, for example, to say: “I can’t  be certain whether that is a tree because my eyes aren’t sharp enough”. I  want to say it made sense for Moore to say “I know that is a tree”, if he meant something quite particular by it.

[I believe it might interest a philosopher, one who can think himself, to read my notes. For even if I have hit the mark only rarely, he would recognize what targets I had been ceaselessly aiming at.]



consider an alternative set of questions –

‘is that a tree over there, do you have money in your pocket, is that your foot?’

yes/no answers are all that is required

the question does ask for grounds – and the answer(s) do not give grounds –

and both question and answer focus on the matters at hand –

the irrelevant issues of ‘certainty’ and ‘grounds’ – do not obfuscate question or answer

further – questions of ‘certainty’ and ‘grounds’ do not arise

they are not in the picture

to introduce them is to corrupt the picture

as to Moore’s ‘I know that is a tree’ –

if Moore was actually interested in the tree – ‘that is a tree’ – will suffice

the tree though is a prop for Moore to hang his pretense on
                                                                                                                              

[it is a such a delight to read these notes –

I feel so privileged to have direct access to such a brilliant and indomitable mind

with each reading I am struck by Wittgenstein’s unflinching integrity – and I wonder at the price he paid for this

On Certainty is a great work of art]


© greg t. charlton. 2010.