'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, April 24, 2010

on certainty 430


430. I meet someone from Mars and he asks me “How many toes have human beings got? – I say “Ten. I’ll shew you”, and take my shoes off. Suppose he was surprised that I knew with such certainty, although I hadn’t looked at my toes – ought I to say: “We humans know how many toes we have whether we can see them or not”?



in expressing surprise here the Martian shows he has a better grasp of epistemology than Wittgenstein –

what Wittgenstein ought to say to the Martian is –

‘we humans pretend knowledge – pretend certainty – we do this when we don’t face reality – when we don’t deal with reality – if you want to understand human beings you need to understand pretence and deception’


© greg t. charlton. 2010.