'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, April 21, 2010

on certainty 423


423. Then why don’t I simply say with Moore “I know that I am in England”? Saying this is meaningful in particular circumstances, which I can imagine. But when I utter the sentence outside these circumstances, as an example to show that I know truths of this kind with certainty, then it strikes me as fishy. – Ought it to?



I am in England’ – may be meaningful in particular circumstances’ –

I know I am in England’ is not

to preface any statement with ‘I know’ –

is to claim an authority for that statement

the only authority is authorship –

and it is redundant and irrelevant –

to assert authorship of your statement

any claim to authority – beyond authorship –

in or out – of a particular circumstance –

is false and deceptive

the only value any such claim has –

is rhetorical


© greg t.charlton. 2010.