'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, April 19, 2010

on certainty 419

419. If I say “I have never been in Asia Minor”, where do I get this knowledge from? I have not worked it out, no one told me; my memory tells me. – So I can’t be wrong about it? Is there a truth here that I know? – I cannot depart from this judgment without toppling all other judgments with it.



‘I have never been in Asia Minor

what you have here is an assertion –

not knowledge –

and the further assertion –

that ‘my memory tells me’

Wittgenstein goes from this to saying –

‘so I can’t be wrong’ –

to say this – is to say – ‘I am certain’

memory is not certain –

his statement is neither –

right or wrong –

it is uncertain

it is open to question –

open to doubt

he then says –

‘I cannot depart from this judgment without toppling all other judgments with it’

yes – if he regards the ground of judgment to be – certain

the reason for judgment is uncertainty –

it is decision in the face of uncertainty

and any judgment made – will be uncertain –

hopefully useful –

but nevertheless uncertain


© greg t. charlton. 2010.