'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, April 22, 2010

on certainty 425

425. It would not be surmise and I might tell it to someone else with complete certainty, as something there is no doubt about. But does that mean that it is unconditionally the truth? May not the thing I recognize with complete certainty as the tree that I have seen here my whole life long – may not this be disclosed as something different? May it not confound me?

And nevertheless it was right, in the circumstances that give this sentence meaning, to say “I know (I do not surmise) that’s the tree”. To say that in strict truth I only believe it, would be wrong. It would be completely misleading to say: “I believe my name is L. W.” And this too is right: I cannot be making a mistake about it. But that does not mean that I am infallible about it.



‘that’s the tree’ – is all that is required –

‘my name is …’ – is all that is required

if you preface these assertions with ‘I know’ or ‘I believe’ – etc. –

all you do is introduce irrelevancies – and create obfuscation

there just is no need –  whatever the circumstances

claims to knowledge – claims to certainty –

are claims of authority

the only logical authority you have – is authorship –

that’s it – that’s enough –

beyond that any claim to authority –

is nothing more than rhetoric

any proposition you put forward is a proposal –

and is therefore – logically speaking – uncertain

but this is no bar to use –

in fact uncertainty is the ground of use –

whether or not your proposal functions as you expect –

you can only wait and see
                                                                                                                                whatever the case –

you make assessments – you make decisions –

you make a call

Wittgenstein says –

‘I cannot possibly be making a mistake. But that does not mean that I am infallible about it’

this is just to say that being certain – is not –

being certain

look either you are – or you aren’t

the reality is –

that any proposition is uncertain

in an uncertain world –

there are no mistakes

what we have is –

different conceptions –

different descriptions –

different proposals

and furthermore –

if you hold with certainty –

if you think your propositions are certain –

then there’s no space – for a mistake

point being –

the notion of the mistake –

has no role to play here –

it is philosophically useless

it is irrelevant –

to whatever position –

you take

it’s not in the picture



p.s.


perhaps Wittgenstein was trying to find a way –

of maintaining certainty –

and at the same time recognizing the skeptical position –

and the idea of the mistake –

became his compromise –

his third way

the fact is – it doesn’t work

and to even try it on –

suggests to me that Wittgenstein –

who is no fool –

and is as clever as a fox –

has simply lost –

his integrity –

or – which amounts to the same thing –

is just playing a game –

a language game –

of deception

why?

because he can –

and because it is what he thinks –

philosophy – and life –

amounts to


© greg t. charlton. 2010.