'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, April 17, 2010

on certainty 414


414. But on the other hand: how do I know that is my hand? Do I even here know exactly what it means to say it is my hand? – When I say “how do I know?” I do not mean that I have the least doubt of it. What we have here is a foundation for all my action. But it seems to me that it is wrongly expressed by the words “I know”.



‘I know’ –

as the foundation of all my action –

but wrongly expressed by ‘I know’

so the idea is – this foundation –

whatever it is –

is unexpressed

this is mysticism –

not logic

perhaps Wittgenstein recognizes

that any proposal he might put forward –

for a foundation –

is open to question –

open to doubt –

is uncertain –

and this is just what he doesn’t want –

despite being logically compelled –

to this conclusion –

so he plays the mystical hand

we can only see this as –

pathetic


© greg t. charlton. 2010.