'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, April 15, 2010

on certainty 412


412. Anyone who is unable to imagine a case in which one might say “I know that this is my hand” (and such cases are certainly rare) might say that these words were nonsense. True, he might also say “Of course I know – how could I not know?” – but then he would possibly be taking the sentence ‘This is my hand” as an explanation of the words “my hand”.



the point is that in any situation the preface ‘I know’ –

is irrelevant and misleading –

it is just a false claim to authority –

whether you can imagine the sentence –

or not

‘this is my hand’ – may well give context – explanation –

to a use of the words ‘my hand’ –

even so

and any use of language –

any explanation of use –

is open to question – open to doubt –

is uncertain


© greg t. charlton. 2010.