'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, March 22, 2010

on certainty 361

361. But I might also say: It has been revealed to me by God that it is so. God has taught me that this is my foot. And therefore if anything happened that seemed to conflict with this knowledge I should have to regard that as deception.



Wittgenstein –

in going for the ‘God argument’ –

is at least coming clean on the fact –

that the argument for knowledge –

is an argument for authority

yes – there is authority –

the authority of authorship

however beyond authorship –

any claim to authority is false –

and there lies the deception


© greg t. charlton. 2010.