'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Sunday, March 14, 2010

on certainty 337


337. One cannot make experiments if there are not some things that one does not doubt. But that does not mean that one takes certain presuppositions on trust. When I write a letter and post it, I take it for granted that it will arrive – I expect this.

If I make an experiment I do not doubt the existence of the apparatus before my eyes. I have plenty of doubts, but not that. If I do a calculation I believe, without any doubts, that the figures on the paper aren’t switching of their own accord, and I also trust my memory the whole time, and trust it without reservation. The certainty here is the same as my never having been on the moon.



yes we operate with expectation –

and the ground of expectation is uncertainty

I make assumptions when I experiment or calculate –

and the ground of assumption is uncertainty

the fact that propositional reality is uncertain –

does not stop me operating

that I have never been on the moon –

is a proposition I would assent to

but if you say the proposition is certain –

in what does the certainty consist?

the fact is –

once this question is asked –

any supposed certainty –

disappears


 © greg t. charlton. 2010.