'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, March 18, 2010

on certainty 350


350.  “I know that that’s a tree” is something a philosopher might say to demonstrate to himself or someone else that he knows something that is not a mathematical or logical truth. Similarly, someone who was entertaining the idea that he was no use anymore might keep repeating to himself “I can still do this and this and this”. If such thoughts often possessed him one would not be surprised if he, apparently out of all context, spoke such a sentence out aloud. (But here I have already sketched a background, a surrounding, for this remark, that is to say given it context.) But if someone, in quite heterogeneous circumstances, called out with the most convincing mimicry: “Down with him!”, one might say of these words (and their tone) that they were a pattern that does indeed have familiar applications, but that in this case it was not even clear what language the man in question was speaking. I might make with my hand the movement I should make if I were holding a hand-saw and sawing through a plank; but would one have any right to call this movement sawing, out of all context? – (It might be something quite different!)



‘Down with him!’ – 

and –

‘I might make with my hand the movement I should make if I were holding a hand-saw and sawing through a plank’

these actions – if they have no context – are unknown

and when we give context – to make known –

we have no way of knowing with certainty 

that the context we provide –

is the context that others provide

we make assumptions –

and we work with our assumptions –

without knowing


© greg t.charlton. 2010.