'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, March 18, 2010

on certainty 352


352. If someone says, “I know that that’s a tree” I may answer: “Yes, that is a sentence. An English sentence. And what is it supposed to be doing?” Suppose he replies: “I just want to remind myself that I know things like that”? –



‘I know’ – is a claim to authority –

the only authority – is authorship –

if ‘I know’ is to have a logical function –

‘I know’ = ‘I am the author of’

is Wittgenstein seriously suggesting –

that you need to remind yourself –

that you are the author –

of your assertions?


© greg t. charlton. 2010.