'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, March 15, 2010

on certainty 339


339.  Imagine someone who is supposed to fetch a friend from the railway station and doesn’t simply look the train up in the time-table and go to the station at the right time, but says: “I have no belief that the train will really arrive, but I will go to the station all the same.” He does everything that the normal person does, but accompanies it with doubts or self-annoyance, etc.



I may expect that the train will arrive – but I don’t know that it will

my expectation will – in terms of knowledge – be groundless

nevertheless it is what I operate with –

timetables may reinforce my expectation – but they do not make the train’s arrival – more probable or certain

‘he does everything that the normal person does, but accompanies it with doubts or self-annoyance, etc.’

I would suggest he does what others do – without the pretense of knowledge –

without the delusion of certainty


© greg t. charlton. 2010.