'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Friday, March 19, 2010

on certainty 355

355.  A mad doctor (perhaps) might ask me “Do you know what that is?” and I might reply “I know that it’s a chair; I recognise it, its always been in my room”. He says this, possibly, to test not my eyes but my ability to recognise things, to know their names and functions. What is in question here is a kind of knowing one’s way about. Now it would be wrong for me to say “I believe that it’s a chair” because that would express my readiness for my statement to be tested. While “I know that it…’ implies bewilderment if what I said is not confirmed.



‘do you know  what that is?’ –

the correct answer is –

no – but I can say what it is

what is in question here –

is one’s ability to see clearly –

and speak plainly –

one’s ability to avoid –

irrelevancy and deception

saying ‘I believe’ – like saying ‘I know’ –

is to corrupt a statement –

a proposition –

with unnecessary and irrelevant rhetoric

any statement is up for ‘testing’

and what is confirmation?

basically someone’s assent –

to your statement –

or reassertion of your statement –

in whatever form

once you see that you don’t know –

and accept this and deal with it –

bewilderment dissolves into –

clarity


© greg t. charlton. 2010.