'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, November 29, 2014

Philosophical Grammar 62


V


62. “That’s him” – that contains the whole problem of representation.

I make a plan: I see myself acting thus and so. “How do I know that it’s myself?” Or “How do I know that the word ‘I’ stands for me?”

The delusion that in thought the objects do what the proposition states about them.

“I meant the victor of Austerlitz” – the past tense, which looks as if it was giving a description, is deceptive.



‘ “That’s him” – that contains the whole problem of representation’?

‘What is the criterion, how is it to be verified, that this picture is the portrait of that object, i.e. that is meant to represent it? ….’

there is no problem here – and the problem is not representation

‘that’s him’ – is a proposal

and like any proposal – open to question – open to doubt –

any proposal – any proposition is uncertain

‘I make a plan: I see myself acting thus and so. “How do I know that it’s myself?” Or “How do I know that the word ‘I’ stands for me?” ’

how do I know it’s myself?

I see myself acting thus and so –

spoken or not – what we have here is a proposal – nothing more – nothing less

I use a form of words – commonly in use and commonly understood–

yet if you care to reflect on it – questions emerge – doubts emerge

my knowledge – just is what I propose –

and that is – open to question – open to doubt –

knowledge is uncertain

how do I know the ‘I’ stands for me?

I make that the proposal – that is all

‘The delusion that in thought the objects do what the proposition states about them’?

the only person who has this delusion is the one who doesn’t think

it’s open to question – always – whether a proposition functions as intended –

the world we live in is uncertain

and indeed different description give different accounts of what objects do  -

compare an artists description of what a table does – to that of a physicist –

let alone someone sitting at it having breakfast

‘ “I meant the victor of Austerlitz” – the past tense, which looks as if it was giving a description, is deceptive.’?

‘The past tense is deceptive, because it looks as if it was giving a description of what went on “inside me” while I was uttering the sentence’

well yes – it can be interpreted that way – but that is just the point –

any proposal – any proposition – can be variously interpreted –

the question is – whether that interpretation makes sense – has function  in the context in which it is used –

I would think it does –

at the same time yes – a different proposal – one  that is not suggestive of the ‘what happens inside me’ – might do just as well – and in some contexts – be more appropriate – more useful

that’s how it goes

   

© greg t. charlton. 2014.