'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, November 10, 2014

Philosophical Grammar 35


35. “Understanding” is not the name of a single process but of more or less interrelated process against a background of the actual use of a learnt language. – We think that if I use the word understanding in all these cases there must be some one thing that happens in all of them. Well, the concept word certainly does show a kinship but this need not be the sharing of a common property or constituent. The concept-word “game”, “By knowledge” we mean these process, and the like, and similar ones”.



‘the some one thing that happens in all of them’ – ‘the common property or constituent’ –

is the word – ‘understanding’ – if you like the bare bones – the syntax

‘I say understand …’ – and you nod in agreement – by which I take it that you understand me –

and we move on

if I was to then have a reflective moment – and ask myself – well what is this understanding that I claim to have – and what is the understanding you indicated?

what happens next?

well I try and describe – these understandings –

I put forward proposals that I think might put some flesh on the bone –

I might consider a common property – or perhaps various processes that I think make for understanding 

whatever –

we are really just dealing with word descriptions here –

now these descriptions and their terms – are subject to the same questions we asked in relation to the word that we have now applied the descriptions to

perhaps we have increased the sense of the word by applying one or more descriptions to it –

but we have not thereby diminished its uncertainty –

we have in fact generated more uncertainty

in practise our language use is uncertain –

we operate in uncertainty –

we deal in uncertainty –

we create in uncertainty



© greg t charlton. 2014.