'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Philosophical Grammar 54


54. “Paint from memory the colour of the door of your room” is no more unambiguous than “paint the green you see on this chart.”

I see the colour of the flower and recognize it.

Even if I say “no, this colour is brighter than the one I saw there,” there is no process of comparing two simultaneously given shades of colour.

Think of reading aloud from a written test (or writing to dictation).



‘If I tell someone “paint from memory the colour of the door of your room” that doesn’t settle what he is to do any more unambiguously than the order “paint the green you see on this chart”

the point being that an appeal to memory guarantees nothing –

there are no guarantees – logically speaking – nothing is settled

‘I see the colour of the flower and I recognize it” –

‘recognition’ – is propositional

which is to say we bring propositions to bear in any act of recognition

and immediate and forceful as recognition may be 

its basis or ground is open to question –

open to doubt – uncertain

even if I say –‘no, this colour is brighter than the one I saw there’ –there is no process of comparing two simultaneously given shades of colour?

if I am asked – ‘which is the right colour?’

I am comparing two proposals and deciding for one –

my answer is a proposal –

open to question – open to doubt –

the action here is propositional

think of reading aloud from a written test (or writing to dictation)

‘ … there’s no act of memory or anything else between the written sign and the sound.’

reading from a written test or writing to dictation are propositional actions

between the written sign and the sound –

is uncertainty



© greg t. charlton. 2014.