'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, August 24, 2010

on certainty 613


613. If I now say “I know that the water in the kettle on the gas flame will not freeze but boil”, I seem to be as justified in this “I know” as I am in any. ‘If I know anything I know this’. – Or do I know with greater certainty that the person opposite me is my old friend so-and-so? And how does this compare with the proposition that I am seeing with two eyes and shall see them if I look in the glass? – I don’t know confidently what I am to answer here. – But still there is a difference between the cases. If the water over the gas freezes, of course I shall be as astonished as can be, but I shall assume some factor I don’t know of, and perhaps leave the matter to physicists to judge. But what could make me doubt whether this person here is N.N., whom I have known for years? Here a doubt would seem to drag everything with it and plunge it into chaos.



‘If I know anything I know this’ –

is just straight out rhetoric

the idea of ‘greater certainty’ –

puts pay to the whole notion of certainty

if certainty itself is a matter of degree –

then it is uncertain

‘I don’t know confidently what I am to answer here’ –

‘some factor I don’t know of’ –

at the heart of any so called claim to knowledge –

is what is not known –

and for this reason –

the claim to complete or certain knowledge –

is false and pretentious

‘If the water over the gas freezes, of course I shall be as astonished as can be’

astonished or not –

the proposition is a proposal

open to question – open to doubt –

uncertain

‘But what could make me doubt whether this person here is N.N., whom I have known for years?’

who’s to say?

but if a doubt should arise –

the world does not fall apart –

all that has been damaged –

is your delusion of certainty –

and that’s a good thing –

it might put you back –

in the real world


© greg t. charlton. 2010.