'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, August 09, 2010

on certainty 576

576. One might say “How do I know that I am not mistaken about my name?” – and if the reply was “Because I have used it so often”, one might go on to ask “How do I know that I am not mistaken about that?” And here the “How do I know” cannot any longer have significance.



‘how do I know I am not mistaken about my name?’

is wrongheaded –

there are no mistakes –

what we deal with is uncertainties

one use (of a name) – is as uncertain –

as the next


© greg t. charlton. 2010.