'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, August 14, 2010

on certainty 586


586. Instead of ‘I know what that is” one might say “I can say what that is”. And if one adopted this form of expression what would then become of “I know that that is…”?



you don’t need to say – that you can say –

if you’ve got something to say – say it

‘I can say what that is ’ – is  like ‘I know that that is …’

unnecessary and irrelevant –

and pretentious

‘that is …’ –

will do the trick


© greg t. charlton. 2010.