'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, August 07, 2010

on certainty 574

574. The question is, what kind of proposition is “I know I can’t be mistaken about that”, or again “I can’t be mistaken about that”?

This “I know” seems to prescind from all grounds: I simply know it. But if there can be any question at all of being mistaken here, then it must be possible to test whether I know it.



a proposition is a proposal

open to question –

open to doubt –

uncertain

‘I know I can’t be mistaken’ –

or ‘I can’t be mistaken about this’ –

are claims of certainty

they are not propositions –

they are statements of prejudice

if ‘I know’ prescinds all grounds –

it is not open to question –

open to doubt –

it is a claim of certainty –

and logically irrelevant –

to any proposition –

to any proposal

as to the ‘mistake’ –

the ‘mistake’ does not arise –

if you claim certainty

and if on the other hand –

you recognize –

that your propositions –

are uncertain –

there are no mistakes –

all you have –

is uncertainties

the point is 

certainty or uncertainty –

the ‘mistake’ –

is not in the picture –

it’s a fraud –

a ring-in

any genuine proposition –

is open to question –

open to doubt –

is testable


© greg t. charlton. 2010.