'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Friday, August 13, 2010

on certainty 583



583. “I know that the name of this in…is ‘…’ – How do you know? – “I have learnt…”

Could I substitute “In…the name of this is ‘..’” for “I know etc.” in this example?



yes –

nothing would be lost logically speaking –

and there would be a gain –
                                                                                                                                   
the deception of ‘I know’ –

would have been eliminated

this has to be a step in the right direction –

for clear thinking and plain speaking


© greg t. charlton. 2010.