'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, August 18, 2010

on certainty 593



593. Even when one can replace “I know” by “It is …” still one cannot replace the negation of the one with the negation of the other.

With “I don’t know …” a new element enters our language-games.



in an ‘I know game’ –

the denial – ‘I don’t know’ –

takes you out of the game –

logically speaking –

‘I don’t know’ –

is a rejection of the game

if the language-game –

is not loaded up –

with the rhetoric –

and deception –

that is –‘I know’ –

then there will be no need –

for the rejection of it –

no need for –

‘I don’t know’


© greg t. charlton. 2010.