'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Sunday, August 15, 2010

on certainty 588


588. But don’t I use the words “I know that…” to say that I am in a certain state, whereas the mere assertion  “that is a…” does not say this? And yet one often does reply to such an assertion by asking “how do you know?” – “But surely, only because the fact that I assert this gives to understand that I think I know it”. – This point could be made in the following way: In a zoo there might be a sign “this is a zebra”; but never “I know that this a zebra””.

“I know” has meaning only when it is uttered by a person. But, given that, it is a matter of indifference whether what is uttered is “I know…” or “That is…”.                                                                                                                                


‘a matter of indifference’?

from a logical point of view ‘I know’ is irrelevant

however the value of ‘I know’ is not logical –

but rhetorical –

and that is not a matter of indifference –

for ‘I know’ is used to pretend authority –

and hence to deceive


© greg t. charlton. 2010.