'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Monday, August 23, 2010

on certainty 606


606. That to my mind someone else has been wrong is no ground for assuming that I am wrong now. – But isn’t it a ground for assuming that I might be wrong? It is no ground for any unsureness in my judgment, or my actions.



right and wrong are not in the picture –

our propositions are uncertain

our decisions regarding propositions –

are uncertain

you can assent to a proposition –

or you can dissent from it

your judgments –

and your actions –

are open to question –

open to doubt –

are uncertain


© greg t.charlton. 2010.