'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Philosophical Grammar 131


131. The comparison between memory and a notebook.

How did I read off from the memory image that I stood thus at the window yesterday?
What made you so certain when you spoke those words? Nothing; I was certain.

How do I react to a memory?



‘The comparison between memory and a notebook’?

is the comparison between different propositions 

the one described in terms of memory – the other in terms of a physical object – the note book –

we have two propositions with different provenances –

different back stories –

whatever the philosophical history of a proposition –

whatever philosophical clothing it wears –

as a proposition – it is open to question – open to doubt –

any comparison between the two – will at the very least illustrate that there is no one way of approaching – of describing – our experience – our reality

we have developed different propositional forms to deal with a reality – that in the absence of proposal – is unknown

we approach the unknown with uncertainty – and in so doing create and explore possibilities –

the result – a rich and fascinating human reality

‘How did I read off from the memory image that I stood thus at the window yesterday?

it is not that ‘I read off from the memory image’ –

it might indeed seem that way – be often represented that way – I may represent it to myself that way

logically it is the other way around –

there is the initial proposal – ‘I stood thus at the window yesterday’ –

I put forward the memory proposal – to account for the initial proposal

‘What made you so certain when you spoke those words? Nothing; I was certain’?

a proposition is open to question – open to doubt – is uncertain

the claim of certainty has no basis in logic

it’s basis is just plain ignorance – or it is a con – a rhetorical con

does anyone seriously suggest that memory is a repository of certainty?

How do I react to a memory?

you can react logically i.e. with common sense – and  regard a ‘memory proposal’ – as open to question open to doubt – as uncertain –

or you can be ignorant and not question

we do both



© greg t. charlton. 2015.