'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, January 15, 2015

Philosophical Grammar 121


121. That a picture tells me something consists in its own form and colours. Or it narrates something to me: it uses words so to speak, and I am comparing the picture with a combination of linguistic forms. – That a series of signs tells me something isn’t constituted by its now making this impression on me. “It’s only in a language that something is a proposition.”



‘That a picture tells me something consists in its own form and colours.’?

yes – it is a non-linguistic proposal – a non-linguistic proposition

‘…and I am comparing the picture with a combination of linguistic forms’?

effectively we have a linguistic description of another propositional form

‘That a series of signs tells me something isn’t constituted by its now making this impression on me’

this series of signs is a proposal – a proposition – in a non-linguistic form

I can describe its effect in a linguistic proposal – a linguistic proposition

‘It’s only in a language that something is a proposition’?

not so –

a proposition is a proposal – and a proposal can take any number of forms

i.e. a proposal can be a form of words – a painting – a piece of music – dance – a sculpture – a city building – etc –

in fact anything that human beings create is a proposal – is a proposition –

and as such open to question – open to doubt – uncertain



© greg t. charlton. 2015.