'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Philosophical Grammar 115


115. A picture telling me something will consist in my recognition in its objects in some sort of characteristic arrangement. –

What does “this object is familiar to me” mean?



‘a picture telling me something will consist in my recognition of in its objects in some sort of characteristic arrangement?’

my ‘recognition’ here is the use of descriptions

‘objects’ – is a description – as is ‘arrangement’ –

I bring these – if you like ‘meta descriptions of ‘object’ and ‘arrangement’ to the picture

you might say they are ingrained descriptions – and assumed descriptions –

I think of them as shadow descriptions

point being – any ‘surface’ description that I bring to the picture – is shadowed by these descriptions

‘what does ‘this object is familiar to me’ mean?’

what it means is that I use the description ‘object’ – and associated descriptions –
and use these descriptions regularly

however as the history of art illustrates – these description – both shadow and surface – can be – and indeed have been challenged

this is not a characteristic of art – rather it is a fact of the logic of description –

any description is a proposal – is a proposition – open to question – open to doubt – uncertain

culture and practice may well entrench certain descriptions –

this is the argument of utility –

however logic is never defeated by utility



© greg t. charlton. 2015.