'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, September 15, 2010

on certainty 659


659. “I cannot be making a mistake about the fact that I have just had lunch.,”

For if I say to someone “I have just eaten” he may believe that I am lying or have momentarily lost my wits but he won’t believe that I am making a mistake. Indeed, the assumption that I might be making a mistake has no meaning here.

But that isn’t true. I might for example, have dropped off immediately after the meal without knowing it and have slept for an hour, and now I believe I had just eaten.

But still, I distinguish here between different kinds of mistake.



‘the mistake’ –

has no role to play here –

if you are certain – there is no mistake –

and if you are uncertain –

what you are dealing with –

is uncertainties

not mistakes –

this ‘concept’ – if you can call it that –

of the ‘mistake’ –

just simply – does not work –

in either epistemological setting –

it’s a dud


© greg t. charlton. 2010.