'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, September 01, 2010

on certainty 629


629. On the other hand, however, it is right to say of myself “I cannot be mistaken about my name”, and wrong if I say “perhaps I am mistaken”. But that doesn’t mean it is meaningless for others to doubt what I declare to be certain.



first up –

it is not a question of being mistaken –

or not –

the notion of the ‘mistake’ –

presupposes certainty

our propositional reality –

is the reality of uncertainty

if you claim certainty –

you am either deluded –

or a fraud –

and a good thing if others –

take you to task
                                                                                                                    

© greg t. charlton. 2010.