'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, June 24, 2010

on certainty 530

530. I may tell someone “this colour is called ‘red’ in English” (when for example I am teaching him English). In this case I should not say “I know that this colour…” – I would perhaps say that if I had just now learned it, or by contrast with another colour whose English name I am not familiar with.



if you are teaching English – all you need to say is –

‘this colour is called ‘red’ in English –

and you should add the qualification –

‘it really always depends on circumstance and context –

but you will get the hang of this –

as you get more familiar with using the language’

if you have just learnt it –

and you think telling someone this is relevant –

what you say is –‘I have just learnt it’

as to contrasting with another colour –

whose English name you are not familiar with –

if you want to do this – what you say is –

‘I am familiar with what this colour is called in English –

but not with what that colour is called’

‘I know’ – has no role to play –

it is irrelevant


greg t. charlton. 2010.