'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, July 16, 2009

on certainty 69


69. I should like to say: “If I am wrong about this, I have no guarantee that anything I say is true.” But others won’t say that about me, nor will I say it about other people.



yes – there are no guarantees –

and for this reason –

you can’t be wrong – or right

what you have to accept is –

uncertainty

and as to what others might say about you –

how would you know?

and if you think –

others have no guarantee for what they say –

why not make the point?


© greg t. charlton. 2009.