'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, July 14, 2009

on certainty 66


66. I make assertions about reality, assertions which have different degrees of assurance. How does the degree of assurance come out? What consequences has it?

We may be dealing, for example, with the certainty of memory, or again of perception. I may be sure of something, but still know what test might convince me of error. I am, e.g. quite sure of the date of a battle, but if I should find a different date in a recognized work of history, I should alter my opinion, and this would not mean I lost all faith in judging.



yes –

you make assertions about reality –

there is no assurance –

for any assertion

any so called ‘assurance’ –

is rhetoric –

that is –

whatever means you employ –

to persuade yourself –

or others –

of the value –

of your assertion


© greg t. charlton. 2009.