'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, July 07, 2009

on certainty 57

57. Now might not “I know, I am not just surmising, that here is my hand” be conceived as a proposition of grammar? Hence not temporally. –

But in that case isn’t it like this one: “I know, I am not just surmising, that I am seeing red”?

And isn’t the consequence “So there are physical objects” like: “So there are colours”



‘I know, I am not just surmising, that here is my hand’ –

if ‘I know’ means ‘I am certain’ –

then you have – ‘I am certain – I am not uncertain’ –

yes – ‘a proposition of grammar’–  if you like –

and in so far as it has no content – it is just a word game –

‘non-temporal’ – yes –

and irrelevant to anything that follows it

so – ‘here is my hand’ and ‘I am seeing red’ –

are alike in that ‘I know I am not surmising’ –

is of no consequence to either of them –

it’s irrelevant

‘And isn’t the consequence “So there are physical objects” like: “So there are colours”’ –

‘so there are physical objects’ – is a way of explaining ‘hand’ –

‘so there are colours’ – is a way of explaining ‘red’ –

in so far as the concepts of physical object and colour –

are explanatory concepts –

yes they are alike – but this is a similarity of use –

and their use – their actual – temporal use –

is open to question – open to doubt –

is uncertain

we can go even further –

and put the whole concept of explanation –

to the question –

of what value is it?

again this is a question of circumstance and use –

can you imagine a circumstance –

in which it is of no use –

to explain?


© greg t. charlton. 2009.