'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, June 02, 2009

on certainty 13



13. For it is not as though the proposition “It is so” could be inferred from someone else’s utterance: “I know it is so”. Nor from the utterance together with it not being a lie. – But can’t I infer “It is so” from my own utterance “I know etc.” Yes; and also “There is a hand there’ follows from the proposition “He knows that there’s a hand there”. But from his utterance “I know….” it does not follow that he does know it.


‘I know it is so’ –

‘I know’ is a claim of authority –

the only authority is authorship –

therefore ‘I know’ = ‘I am the author of …’

and to claim authorship for your assertion –

is unnecessary and irrelevant

logically speaking ‘I know’ –

is irrelevant

any claim to an authority –

other than authorship –

is logically false –

invariably –

the claim of authority in ‘I know’ –

is not logical –

is not a claim of authorship –

it is rhetorical

and here the point of ‘I know’ –

is persuasion –

persuasion on the basis of an authority –

that doesn’t exist

what we are dealing with in ‘I know’ –

is deception and pretense

and it makes no difference –

whether I say ‘I know’ –

or someone else does –

or whether it is persuasive or not –

logically speaking –

it is empty rhetoric

what are we to infer from empty rhetoric?

a fraud


© greg t.charlton. 2009.