'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, June 06, 2009

on certainty 19


19. The statement “I know that here is a hand” may then be continued: “for it is my hand that I’m looking at”. Then a reasonable man will not doubt that I know. – Nor will the idealist; rather he will say that he was not dealing with the practical doubt which is being dismissed, but there is a further doubt behind that one. – That this is an illusion has to be shewn in a different way.



‘for it is my hand that I am looking at ‘ –

is really just a piece of rhetoric –

as indeed – is the claim to ‘know’ –

if you drop all the rhetoric here –

all the persuasion –

what you have is the basic statement –

‘here is my hand’ –

the statement is not certain –

it is open to question – it is open to doubt –

but at least it is honest –

and it comes without –

irrelevant and misleading baggage

the claim –‘that this is an illusion’ –

really just focuses our attention –

on the fact that reality –

can be and is –

variously described –

and understood


© greg t. charlton. 2009.