'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, July 24, 2010

on certainty 563

563. One says, “I know that he is in pain” although one can produce no convincing grounds for this. – Is this the same as “I am sure that he…”? – No. “I am sure” tells you my subjective certainty. “I know” means that I who know it, and the person who doesn’t are separated by a difference in understanding. (Perhaps based on a difference in degree of experience.)

If I say “I know” in mathematics, then the justification for this is a proof.

If in these two cases instead of  “I know”, one says “you can rely on it” then the substantiation is of a different kind in each case.

And substantiation comes to an end



‘although one can produce no convincing grounds for this –‘

yes – the claim to know – if it means certainty – is empty and deceptive

‘subjective’ – or ‘objective’ – if the claim is certainty –

it is false and pretentious

the difference that separates you and the person who doesn’t claim to know –

is pretence – you’re pretentious – he isn’t

a ‘proof’ in mathematics – is a language game –

best understood as – poetry

‘you can rely on it’ –

whether a reference to a statement about pain –

or a statement in mathematics –

is just rhetoric

and rhetoric is only ‘substantiated’ – if you can call it that –

by rhetoric

‘And the substantiation comes to an end’? –

I wonder –

is there an end to bullshit?


© greg t. charlton. 2010.