'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, July 14, 2010

on certainty 553

553. It is queer: if I say without any special occasion, “I know” – for example, “I know that I am now sitting in a chair”, this statement seems to me to be unjustified and presumptuous. But if I make the same statement where there is some need for it, then although I am not a jot more certain of its truth, it seems to me to be perfectly justified and everyday.



some need for it?

what need would that be I wonder?

would it be a need to pretend you have an authority you don’t have –

in order to t deceive someone –

perhaps even yourself?

that seems to be the idea –

for you are ‘not a jot more certain of its truth’ –

and yet you are prepared to claim –

‘justification’

and who knows you might be right –

pretense and deception –

might just be ‘everyday’?


© greg t. charlton. 2010.