'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Philosophical Grammar 89


89. A red patch looks different from one that is not red. But it would be odd to say “a red patch looks different when it is there from when it isn’t there”. Or “How do you know that you are expecting a red patch?”



reality in the absence of any proposal –

is unknown –

our reality is propositional

reality as proposed is uncertain

I might expect an outcome –

but as soon as I give my expectation any thought –

it is clear that I cannot be certain of any outcome

my expectation is a proposal –

open to question –

open to doubt



© greg t. charlton. 2014.