'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Friday, May 28, 2010

on certainty 483


483. The correct use of the expression “I know”. Someone with bad sight asks me “do you believe that the thing we can see there is a tree?” I reply “I know it is; I can see it clearly and am familiar with it”. – A: “Is N.N at home?” – I: “I believe he is.” – A: ‘Was he at home yesterday?” – I: “Yesterday he was – I know he was; I spoke to him.” – A: “Do you know or only believe that this part of the house is built on later than the rest?” – I: “I know it is; I got it from so and so.”



‘I can see it clearly and am familiar with it’ –

‘yesterday he was – I spoke to him’ –

‘I got it from so and so’ –

are straight out propositions –  proposals – open to question – open to doubt

the preface ‘I know’ – is a claim to an authority –

the only authority is authorship –

it is unnecessary and irrelevant to claim authorship of your assertion –

logically speaking ‘I know’ is unnecessary and irrelevant

beyond authorship –

any claim to an authority is rhetorical

‘I believe he is’ –

the use of ‘believe’ here is logically correct –

if it indicates uncertainty –

however given that any proposition is open to question –

open to doubt – is uncertain –

it is unnecessary and irrelevant –

in so far as ‘believe’ is rhetorical –

it has no logical value –

and is basically hot air


© greg t. charlton. 2010.