'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, January 23, 2010

on certainty 247


247. What would it be like to doubt now that I have two hands? Why can’t I imagine it at all? What would I believe if I didn’t believe that? So far I have no system at all within which this doubt might exist.



to doubt is to question –

and whether you question of not –

will depend on what you are doing

here right now we are doing philosophy –

such a question makes sense in this context –

just ask Wittgenstein –

he raised the question

and as for there being no system –

you don’t need a system –

to ask a question


© greg. t. charlton. 2010.