'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, January 16, 2010

on certainty 233


233. If a child asked whether the world was already there before my birth, I should answer him that the earth did not begin with my birth, but that it existed long, long before. And I should have the feeling of saying something funny. Rather as if the child had asked me if such and such a mountain were higher than a tall house that it had seen. In answering the question I should have to be imparting a picture of the world to the person who asked it.

If I do answer the question with certainty, what gives me this certainty?



I would say to the child that I don’t know

I would say other people believe that the earth existed before I was born –

and I am happy to accept what they say

I would mention that there are various theories about the age of the earth and about its origins –

but that no one can say for sure what the situation is –

I would tell the child there are scientific theories and religious views on this matter

I would also tell the child that it is to its advantage to understand these various accounts of the earth –

and the various pictures of the world that people have proposed

and that it should make up its own mind on these matters –

and keep an open mind


© greg t.charlton. 2010.