'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, January 16, 2010

on certainty 234


234. I believe that I have forebears, that every human being has them. I believe that there are various cities, and, quite generally, in the main facts of geography and history. I believe that the earth is a body on whose surface we move and that it no more suddenly disappears or the like than any other solid body: this table, this house, this tree etc. If I wanted to doubt the existence of the earth long before my birth, I should have to doubt all sorts of things that stand fast for me.



Wittgenstein has all these beliefs –

and they all function for him

to doubt is to question 

it does not follow –

that if he were to question these beliefs –

to doubt them –

they would cease to function for him

in fact recognizing 

the intrinsic uncertainty of his belief system –

may just give him –

a deeper understanding of his reality


© greg t. charlton. 2010.