'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Sunday, January 17, 2010

on certainty 237


237. If I say “an hour ago this table didn’t exist”, I probably mean it was only made latter on.

If I say “this mountain didn’t exist then”, I presumably mean that it was only formed later on – perhaps by a volcano.

If  I say “this mountain didn’t exist half an hour ago”, that is such a strange statement that it is not clear what I mean. Whether for example I mean something untrue but scientific. Perhaps you think that the statement that the mountain didn’t exist then is quite clear, however one conceives the context. But suppose someone said “This mountain didn’t exist a minute ago, but an exactly similar one did instead”. Only the accustomed context allows what is meant to come through clearly.



the meaning of any proposition – any proposal –

is open to question – open to doubt –

is uncertain


© greg t. charlton. 2010.