'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Wednesday, November 18, 2009

on certainty 162


162. In general I take as a rule what I found in text books, of geography for example. Why? I say: All these facts have been confirmed a hundred times over. But how do I know that? What is my evidence for it? I have a world-picture. Is it true or false? Above all it is the substratum of all my enquiring and asserting. The propositions describing it are not all equally subject to testing.



‘I have a world-picture.’ –

then presumably you can state it –

in the form of a proposition

is it true or false?

if you assent to it – it’s true –

and presumably you do –

if you ‘have’ it

the substratum of all my enquiring and asserting?

if by ‘substratum’ you mean –

that which is beyond question –

beyond doubt –

there is no such thing –

no such proposition

the actual substratum of enquiry and assertion –

is uncertainty

we use many different ‘pictures’ –

many different propositions –

all of which are open to question –

open to doubt

and the testing of any proposition –

is an exploration –

of uncertainty

all propositions – all proposals

are equally subject –

to doubt


© greg t. charlton. 2010.