'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Tuesday, November 17, 2009

on certainty 159


159. As children we learn facts; e.g., that every human being has a brain, and we take them on trust. I believe that there is an island, Australia, of such and such a shape, and so on and so on; I believe that I have great-grand parents and the people who gave themselves out as my parents really were my parents, etc. This belief may never have been expressed; even the thought that it was so, never thought.



to take a proposition on trust –

is to not question it    to not doubt it –

it is to be fooled –

or to fool yourself

if I haven’t thought it I can’t believe it –

but if I have thought it – and believe it –

my belief – expressed – or not –

useful as it may be in the circumstances –

is open to question –

open to doubt –

is uncertain


© greg t.charlton. 2009.