'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Saturday, November 07, 2009

on certainty 150


150. How does one judge which is his right and which is his left hand? How do I know that my judgment will agree with someone else’s? How do I know that this colour is blue? If I don’t trust myself  here, why should I trust any else’s judgment? Is there a why? Must I not begin to trust somewhere? That is to say: somewhere I must begin with not doubting: and that is not, so to speak, hasty but excusable: it is part judging.



how does one judge which is his right and which is his left hand?

what is regarded a ‘left’ and what is regarded as ‘right’ –

is just a matter of convention

the judgment here is to follow the convention

‘how do I know that my judgment will agree with someone else’s?

I don’t

how do I know that this colour is blue?

I don’t know that this colour is blue

I follow a convention of identifying this colour as ‘blue’ –

not because there is any certainty in the matter –

but rather because it is socially useful to do so –

and by the way –

you can be a stand-out if you want to –

there’s nothing to stop you –

if I don’t trust myself  here, why should I trust any else’s judgment?

in the absence of any certainty –

there is no basis for trust –

of my own judgments or anyone else’s judgment

‘trust’ – is not in the picture –

nevertheless I act –

it is not that ‘somewhere I must begin with not doubting’ –

the fact is we act in the face of uncertainty –

and the ground of any action we take – is uncertain

is there a why?

there is always a why 


© greg t. charlton. 2009.