'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, October 15, 2009

on certainty 127


127. For how do I know that someone is in doubt? How do I know that he uses the words “I doubt it” as I do?



how do I know someone is in doubt?

I don’t –

if by ‘know ‘ here – you mean –

can I be sure?

how do I know that he uses the words ‘I doubt’ as I do?

I don’t –

if by ‘know ‘ – you mean –

can I be certain?

on these matters –

as with any other matter –

always –

doubt


© greg t. charlton. 2009