'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Thursday, October 08, 2009

on certainty 116


116. Instead of “I know…”, couldn’t Moore have said: “It stands fast for me that…”? And further: “It stands fast for me and many others…”



if ‘it stands fast for me that’ –

means the ‘proposition’ – is beyond question –

beyond doubt –

then what you have here is not a proposition –

not a proposal –

but rather a prejudice

and to say –

‘it stands fast for me and many others …’ –

is to say many others –

hold this prejudice too

this may be so


© greg t. charlton. 2009.