'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Sunday, October 04, 2009

on certainty 111


111. “I know that I have never been on the moon.” That sounds quite different in the circumstances which actually hold, to the way it would sound if a good many men had been on the moon, and some perhaps without knowing it. In this case one would give grounds for knowledge. Is there not a relationship here similar to that between the general rule of multiplying and particular multiplications that have been carried out?

I want to say: my not having been on the moon is as sure a thing for me as any grounds I could give for it.



Wittgenstein suggests here –

that whether grounds are required or not –

is a matter of circumstance

if so whether a claim to knowledge requires grounds or not –

is an uncertain matter –

and as a result any claim to knowledge –

is at base uncertain

he says where grounds are required –

the relation between the giving of grounds

and the claim to knowledge

is similar to –

the general rule of multiplying –

and multiplications carried out

that is to say the giving of grounds –

is the application of a rule

the application of a ‘rule’ –

is effectively –

the decision to stop questioning –

to stop thinking –

if that is what ‘knowledge’ amounts to –

then for Wittgenstein –

‘knowledge’ is ignorance

‘I want to say: my not having been on the moon is as sure a thing for me as any grounds I could give for it.’

here he is saying –

his certainty is groundless


© greg t. charlton. 2009.